Monday, April 8, 2013

Movie Review- Pride and Prejudice (1980)

Over spring break I watched via YouTube the 1980 BBC version of Pride and Prejudice. I had been interested in it for awhile, having seen commenters on IMDB write that they thought it was the most true to the book... so I watched it.... and let me assure you, it is not truer to the book than the amazing 1995 version. So here are my thoughts on it.

Characters

I can't say any of the characters were done to the perfection of the 1995 version. They weren't bad... but they weren't amazing. The Lizzy seemed to me not spirited enough. Mr. Darcy definitely had the proudness down, but he never seemed to let go of it until about the last five minutes of the movie... and by then, I'm sorry but by then it was too late for you to really like him. The Mr. Bennett was too distant for me and rather grouchy. The rest of the characters were all right.  I felt character development to be scarce... especially with Wickham. As with the 2005, they didn't have him in there long enough to make you like him so when you find out he is bad it doesn't really phase you. I liked the Mary to a certain point. I felt they did some things well with her but then sometimes she acts more like Lydia and Kitty.
I liked the Mr. Collins; I thought the actor captured the character well. Lady Catherine de Bourgh was done well, though slightly differently then I've seen her normally done. So average on characters.

Lines

A majority of the lines were taken straight from the book... but the actors seemed to recite them off so monotonously that it ruined them. This really bothered me and is one of my main complaints about this version.

Scenery

I know this is kind of a minor thing but I'm talking about it anyways. All of the scenery seemed rather dark and more gloomy like, which lent a slightly different tone to the movie.

Other

I felt the scenes to be unconnected somewhat.... disjointed in away. It was about the same length as the 1995 version but somehow didn't tell the story as well.

All in all, I that it was an okay version but for me the 1995 version will aways be my Pride and Prejudice. I do think it's worth watching. You can find it on YouTube in about ten minute segments and good quality.

Lois Johnson, avid writer, tea drinker, and reader but first and foremost, avid Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...