Saturday, February 8, 2014

Movie Review- Saving Mr. Banks

Ever since watching the trailer for Saving Mr. Banks last year I've been on my toes waiting to watch the movie. A couple weeks ago I finally got to see it. I enjoyed it but it was so bittersweet and was one of the more emotional movies I've seen. I don't watch many emotional movies though so…
First of all, the acting was superb! Everyone did their job well, especially Emma Thompson as P.L. Travers. The storyline was fascinating and, as I said before, bittersweet. I knew prior to watching the movie that Mrs Travers never did like how the movie of Mary Poppins turned out so that puts the movie in a slightly different light. I did a little fact checking on the internet to see how accurate the movie was and it is somewhat accurate but obviously makes Disney look better than it is. You can see some of the differences here and here. Just as a movie though, without looking at the facts, I consider it quite good. Looking at the facts of what really happened though, I would say it is pretty good.
If you aren't familiar with the plot line of Saving Mr. Banks, and have been reading the above just waiting for me to shut up as you have no idea what is going on…. here it is. Saving Mr. Banks tells the story of the fortnight when P.L. Travers (the author of Mary Poppins) traveled from her home in England to the Walt Disney studios so that Walt Disney could hopefully get her to give him the rights to the movie of Mary Poppins. Disney soon finds out though that it won't be as easy as he hoped it would be as Mrs Travers isn't very charitable to the idea of giving away her treasured story to a company she hates (actually she isn't very charitable at all). The movie also contains several flashbacks to her as a child growing up and how it influenced her books.
P.L. Travers is not a very nice person in the movie and neither was she in real life. However, as you watch her tragic backstory unfold, you begin to understand how that formed her into that persona. In the movie she has her funny moments but she is still a rather curmudgeonly character.

I'll close my review with a great quote from the movie that has quite a bit actually to do with my blog. :)

"It is blasphemy to drink tea from a paper cup."- P.L. Travers

Lois Johnson, avid writer, tea drinker, and reader but first and foremost, avid Christian.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this movie! It was really interesting to see it unfold because Mary Poppins is my favorite movie. I am so glad that she did finally give over the rights to make Mary Poppins but seeing her back story I can understand her hesitation. Mary Poppins was her life, it was her baby and she didn't want it screwed up. I didn't think this movie would make me emotional but it did!! I sort of cried and laughed when she started tapping her toes to the music of 'Let's Go Fly A Kite' and then she danced..lol. :) I love the above quote you picked as well!

    ReplyDelete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...