Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Book Review- A Child's History of England

For the non-fiction reading challenge, the mount TBR reading challenge and authors A-Z challenge I read Charles Dickens' A Child's History of England.
As you may have guessed from the title, this book is a history of England starting at the very beginning and going right up to Dickens' time with Queen Victoria. If you're like me you probably had no clue Dickens wrote a history book... yet he did. Though it is a history book it still contains Dickens' classic humor, which surprised me. I found it to be a very enjoyable history book to read because of that. Dickens just always kept it interesting and engaging. It was obvious that he was very opinionated about the different rulers of England so you were getting a fairly biased history of England. However, from what I already know of the history of England, I'd say his biases were fairly accurate. I'm no history expert though by any means.
I did love that while he's an Englishman he says lots of good things about William Wallace and Robert the Bruce. :)
While it is a child's history of England it is pretty brutally honest about the evils of mankind. I don't think I'd have any qualms handing it to my children (in fact I plan to someday!) but I could definitely see other parents having second thoughts about doing so.
This book also just reminded me how brutal mankind was in those times.... but yet it also reminded me brutal mankind is still. A reminder that sin isn't something that just goes away.

Overall quite an enjoyable surprise! :)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. Huh! I might have to try it sometime!;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked up a copy of this at an antique store, but have yet to read it. Good to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised by this one too, I thought it might be a tad dull but it was anything but. I actually enjoyed the bias, and as you say there was a lot of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It was just more fun than normal history books.... That's Dickens for you! ;)

      Delete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...