Friday, November 13, 2015

Book Review- A Room With a View

For the literary movement challenge, the monthly motif challenge and the Classics Club I read E.M. Forester's novel A Room with a View.
Synopsis from Goodreads: One of E. M. Forster's most celebrated novels, A Room With a View is the story of a young English middle-class girl, Lucy Honeychurch. While vacationing in Italy, Lucy meets and is wooed by two gentlemen, George Emerson and Cecil Vyse. After turning down Cecil Vyse's marriage proposals twice Lucy finally accepts. Upon hearing of the engagement George protests and confesses his true love for Lucy. Lucy is torn between the choice of marrying Cecil, who is a more socially acceptable mate, and George who she knows will bring her true happiness. A Room With a View is a tale of classic human struggles such as the choice between social acceptance or true love.
I'm not sure how I feel about this book and I was torn between four and three stars but I finally decided on the four. I'm going to be honest. I was not terribly take with either George Emerson or Cecil Vyse. I couldn't root for either. You're supposed to root for George Emerson but he seemed so immature to me and I just didn't like him. Cecil was a very interesting character and actually I felt like after Lucy ends up breaking off their engagement that there might be hope for him. He's the character I actually wanted to know more about. I'm not sure how I felt about Lucy herself. I sympathized with her in some areas but she just seemed kind of immature and naive herself. I think though she recognized her naivety at least and wanted to change that. Cousins Charlotte was a complicated character and overall I found her super annoying but I did like how in the end she is willing to help George and Lucy out. I liked Mr. Beeb for the most part but I wish we got to know him better too. The book was too short in my opinion. The book also had it's snide humor and was beautifully written. It did a lot of contrasting as well which was thought provoking.
I'm just not sure how I felt about this book. I think I will watch the movie and maybe that will help me decide. ;)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

10 comments:

  1. The Helena Bonham Carter version is a must! Just be aware that the skinny dipping scene is shown in ALL its "glory".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to decide whether or not I should read this! Do you recommend it, or not so much? How was it content-wise?

    I'm glad you reviewed it, because now I have a reliable source by which to go;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm really kind of neutral about it but others I respect really like it so I'd say go for it! :)

      Delete
  3. I love this book! One of my absolute favorites -- in my top 20, possibly my top 10. I first read it a couple of years ago and promptly re-read it about a month later, which I so rarely do, but it demanded that I revisit it very soonly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty high! Far higher than I would rate it! I just felt rather neutral about this book.

      Delete
    2. Well, that's the magic of books -- different ones touch different people. And sometimes as our lives change, our perspectives change too. I saw the movie when I was in college and only liked it okay. But I read the book in my early 30s and was absolutely grabbed by it and what it was saying. If I'd read it when I was 20, I might have found it so-so too.

      Delete
  4. Oh watch the movie! A Room With a View is the rare situation where I like the movie better than the book. Maybe it's because I saw the movie before I read the book (shame!) but the movie seems to just have so much more goodness and... dare I say character depth? I LIKED the characters so much more in the movie.

    I'd be interested to hear your opinion once you see it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've tried to read Howards End, but failed to finish it. To me, it's too flat and boring.
    Maybe Forster's just not for me...

    ReplyDelete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...